Development of a low cost mini-uav (unmanned aerial vehicle)
based on a reduced aircraft model for
Ho Chi Minh University of Technology (HCMUT)–Viet Nam
The project is aiming to develop a laboratory’s equipment, defined as mini-unmanned aerial vehicle (mini-uav), which will be very helpful in increasing training and research activities for several departments of Ho Chi Minh University of Technology (HCMUT).
A preliminary study was already performed, which consisted firstly in defining the requirements of a mini-uav, using low cost sensors, while fulfilling realistic missions in agricultural domain, then analysis and choice of air vehicle. The result was the choice of two demonstrators, using two existing reduced aircraft model, named respectively project A and project B:
- project A, developed in France, will mainly be used for testing the autonomy concept;
- project B, developed in HCMUT (Viet Nam), will be used for evaluating the mini-uav’s capability in a realistic environment. This demonstrator will be helpful for prototyping a future mini- uav fulfilling real time mission’s requirements as described in the preliminary study.
The next steps of this project are as following:
- analysis, purchase of other uav elements, such as avionics, data-link system, user load, ground control station, development and programming of numerical code for autonomous flight;
- in-flight experiment for the whole system elements,
- final integration, checking and in-flight demonstration of the mini-uav system.
In order to increase the chance of success for the project, other partners will also contribute, mainly:
- University Institute of Technology of Marseille, specially the Department of Electrical Engineering and Industrial Informatics, who is also developing a mini-uav for its own purpose;
- Experts in reduced aircraft model.
This project has just received a financial support from the French Government (MIIINDS Ministère de l’Immigration, de l’Intégration, de l’Identité nationale et du Développement Solidaire- Ministry of Immigration, Integration, National Identity and Solidarity Development).